Safety Assurance Manager – NY/NJ
Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH)
Title: Safety Assurance Manager
Level: Band 4
Salary Range: $85,280 – $136,448
Department: Operations Services
Division: Agency Safety Management
Post Date: September 20, 2017
Please note that employees competing for a non-represented position are expected to meet the following timeframes to be eligible for this position:
• If this position represents a Within-Band promotion, you must have 18 months in your current position
• If this position represents a Band-to-Band promotion, you must have 12 months in your current position
• If this position represents a demotion, mobility or transfer move, you must have 12 months in your current position
The Safety Assurance Manager position is subject to a comprehensive background check that requires candidates to successfully pass a fingerprint based criminal history records check in order to obtain an airport Security Identification Display (SIDA) credential. The candidate must be able to maintain the SIDA credentials throughout their employment in the position.
Under the direction of the General Manager, Operations Safety, Agency Safety Management, the successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring safety and health mitigations are implemented, adhered to, are appropriate, effective, and sufficient in addressing the potential consequences of identified hazards. The successful candidate will closely collaborate with the Safety Risk Management Manager to ensure that safety and health issues and concerns that are identified by the Safety Risk Management unit through direct observations, reporting by facility staff or by the general public are investigated and acted upon in a timely manner. The Safety Assurance Manager will ensure that services are provided to the Agency, our facilities and to the public that we serve. This position also involves supervision and guidance of Safety Assurance staff and as necessary responds to emergencies, incidents and crises at all Port Authority and PATH facilities on a 24-7-365 basis to provide operational support. The Safety Assurance Manager will represent the General Manager, Operations Safety at internal and external meetings and internal committees and working groups.
This position requires travel to all Port Authority facilities and work hours may include some early morning and evening shifts and weekends.
- Bachelors Degree in Science, Public Health, Safety, Industrial Hygiene or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum ten years practical experience in Safety, Occupational Health, Public Health and/or Safety field with at least 3 years of supervisory/management experience
- Applicants must be committed to the use of Safety Management System principles to further improve the Agency’s safety performance
- Applicants must possess a valid driver’s license
- Must be able to successfully pass all background checks and obtain and maintain clearance for secure access credentials
- Applicants must meet all performance and attendance standards and have completed all probationary periods.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Demonstrated experience with US DOL OSHA, NY & NJ Occupational Health, Public Health and Safety codes and regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, work independently and to successfully move projects from inception to completion
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Outlook365
- Demonstrated ability to work with staff at all levels, contractors and outside vendors
- Certified Industrial Hygienist, Certified Safety Professional or Registered Environmental Health Specialist or equivalent credentials
Interested candidates should email an updated resume to Bonnie Choi at firstname.lastname@example.org, on or before Wednesday, September 27, 2017.
Recruiter: Bonnie Choi
Ext.: (212) 435-2825
Email Address: email@example.com
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Safety, Health and Environmental Intern – Clark, NJ
The US Research and Innovation Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE) department provides direct support to and collaborates with all US based Research and Innovation departments so they can achieve their business objectives in a safe, environmentally friendly and sustainable manner. The group will pilot a Co-Op program which, under direct supervision, performs basic and routine duties in a wide range of SHE disciplines to aid in maintaining compliance with internal SHE standards and, federal and state regulatory requirements. This position will supplement the existing SHE professionals in providing these services to business partners while receiving on the job experience and mentoring in the occupational safety, health and environmental protection fields. Desired duration of assignment is nine to 12 months
- Assist in the development, implementation and maintenance of SHE programs, procedures, systems and associated training.
- Participate in monthly safety inspections.
- Participate in recommending improvements in processes, design, procedures and equipment to minimize hazards.
- Assist with management of hazardous and non-hazardous waste and associated programs, including conducting of quarterly waste inspections.
- Involved with SHE aspects of the new hire safety training and onboarding process.
- Take part in ergonomic assessments and assist with follow-up actions.
- Participate in contractor safety reviews.
- Assist in the statistical reporting process and preparation of SHE PowerPoint presentations.
- Assist in maintaining the US R&I SHE Community Internal Website.
- Participate in hazard and risk assessments.
- Participate as a member of the Research and Innovation Sustainability Committee (RISC).
- Participate in coordinating emergency response teams and drills.
- The Co-Op will also participate in various SHE training programs to further develop his / her knowledge in the SHE fields.
- Recommendation from department chair or professor.
- Must be enrolled in junior or senior year or, be within 18 months of graduation from 4 year undergraduate college or university with a concentration in Health Sciences, Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety or related scientific discipline. Educational history must be continuous and no breaks greater than five months between diploma/degrees received.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (written/oral), and organizational skills required.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Must be legally eligible to work in the US on an on-going basis.
- Computer proficiency and aptitude for technology.
- Must be able to work effectively in a matrix organization that provides services to multiple business partners.
For more information and to apply, visit http://career.loreal.com/careers/JobDetail?jobId=41444
Senior Industrial Hygienist – Piscataway, NJ
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Senior Industrial Hygienist for the Environmental Health & Safety department of Central Administration.
Reports to the Manager of Health & Safety Services. The Senior Industrial Hygienist is responsible for performing advanced professional work in the recognition, evaluation and control of environmental, health and safety hazards to ensure a safe and healthful workplace for research, clinical, administrative and support staff. The duties include planning and direction of investigations, consultations, training programs, and remediation activities, along with appropriate documentation and reorting. The Senior Industrial Hygienist functions as a leader within the department and institution. The incumbent performs emergency response activities, including during off-hours and on-call periods.
- Using modern industrial hygiene principles, plans, organizes, performs, conducts, and reports on findings and recommendations for: health, safety, and environmental audits in laboratory, clinical, administrative, and support areas; investigations of occupational exposure to chemical, biological and physical hazards; industrial hygiene monitoring and personal air sampling; and, ergonomic assessments.
- Provides technical assistance, advice, and program consultation to staff and administration in the interpretation and application of safety and occupational health directives, practices, and procedures. Identifies appropriate controls to prevent exposure to hazardous agents; evaluates engineering controls; recommends controls to eliminate and/or minimize employee health risks.
- Prepares clear, accurate, and scientifically sound technical reports on investigations, studies, audits, inspections, and similar activities, to include, as appropriate: analysis, findings, conclusions and/or recommendations. Provides follow-up as necessary. Maintains a computerized database of investigations, inspections, audits, and related studies.
- Designs, develops, and deploys: both general and specialized safety and health training courses in formats which include, but are not limited to, classroom, online, and self-study modules; educational materials, online training, newsletter articles, and fact sheets; and safety and health policies and procedures.
- Assists with respiratory protection compliance to include qualitative and quantitative fit testing program development and training. Calibrates and maintains industrial hygiene equipment as necessary. Reviews laboratory research protocols to ensure appropriate health and safety practices, hazardous waste storage and disposal.
- Provides emergency response services, as needed, to include ensuring that appropriate actions are taken to protect the health and safety of personnel, minimize the impact on the environment, and control damage to university property.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Candidates will need to have one of the following:
- Completion of a graduate level program in a related field.
- Scientific training in the physical, chemical, engineering or life sciences, and experience equivalent to a Master’s Degree.
- Minimum (5) years of relevant professional occupational safety and industrial hygiene work experience.
- Professional certification (CSP, CIH, CHMM, CHP) or the education, training and experience sufficient to become certified in the EH&S profession.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of modern principals of industrial hygiene, modern public health methods of prevention, and control of occupational related illness and injuries.
- Demonstrated knowledge of federal and State laws, regulations, and standards related to health, safety, and environmental compliance, including OSHA, NJPEOSHA, ACGIH, and NIOSH, required.
- Demonstrated knowledge and accompanying experience with equipment uses and methodologies of environmental monitoring.
- Ability to prepare clear, accurate and informative reports containing findings, conclusions, and recommendations, along with superior oral presentation and other communications skills required.
- Use of the Internet for research purposes, and experience with computers (email, desktop software applications such as Office, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Outstanding human relations and leadership skills, and the ability to function in a team environment required; must be able to work independently and without supervision, and on multiple simultaneous projects.
- Must have the maturity and judgment to represent the department in interactions with the university community and to seek assistance from supervisor, when needed.
- Demonstrated knowledge is necessary of how to accomplish superior performance in a unionized environment.
- Active membership and participation in an EH&S professional society.
- Experience working in a university setting or health care environment.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Physical Demands: Must be able to walk/stand for extended periods of time, wear Self Containing Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), and provide emergency response services, as needed (including rotating on-call/off-hours services). Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Valid driver’s license.
For more information and to apply, visit https://jobs.rutgers.edu/postings/51645
Environmental Health and Safety Training Leader – NY
Emilcott, the leading provider of environmental, health and safety services, is looking for a EHS practitioner that loves to train other practitioners. This role will be responsible for driving business development for the Emilcott Training Institute, scheduling other practitioners for training, and personally delivering classes. The successful candidate will always have an appetite to always learn more, be detail-oriented, confident, articulate, and high energy
- Develop new and repeat customer base to extend the awareness of Emilcott as the preferred EHS trainer in the region.
- Lead new product strategy for the training group.
- Write training proposals designed to grow our businesses profitably, including entering information into our CRM and keeping abreast of client contact.
- Maintain accurate training files and records as required by the State law and Company policy under the direction of the Director of Training.
- Deliver a variety of health and safety training. Be prepared to personally teach classes as well as to schedule other Emilcott staff to do the same.
- Write and update curriculum as necessary.
- Travel to client sites as well as oversee the operations of the Emilcott Training Institute onsite.
- Create, track and oversee the record-keeping required for many certifications we offer.
- Keep our website up-to-date with the necessary information on dates, times and payments for classes offered.
- An enthusiastic business developer and natural networker.
- Experienced trainer with 3-5 plus years’ experience delivering health and safety curriculum.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Knowledge of OSHA regulatory requirements.
- Flexible, self-starter with a can-do attitude.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken.
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite which includes, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Comfortable with shared documents, video chatting and other virtual technologies.
- A knowledge of project and expense management.
- Be a critical thinker and a problem solver
- Have reliable transportation (gas and mileage will be reimbursed per IRS guidelines)
Send email to Dora Medini: firstname.lastname@example.org
Industrial Hygiene Safety Professional – NY
Emilcott, the leading environmental health and safety consulting and technology firm in the metropolitan New York area, has an opening for a recent graduate with 0-3 years experience interested in learning all aspects of the EHS business. Our busy practice offers the enthusiastic, talented candidate an opportunity to gain experience and training across a broad variety of EHS engagements for both industrial and commercial facilities, as well as construction and hazardous waste sites.
We are a highly collaborative organization that values cross-training and mentorship of talent. The successful candidate will be well-organized, have excellent written and oral communication skills, work independently and have the technical education to be successful in the environmental, health and safety field.
- Provide technical support for client projects in all areas of EHS compliance
- Perform field tasks such as Indoor Environmental Quality (IEQ) investigations, Industrial Hygiene (“IH”) sampling, exposure monitoring, and Health & Safety oversight
- Provide OSHA compliance assistance and safety management at project location
- Assist with field reports and final work product – collect and provide project feedback as needed
- Provide project coordination and management support – interact with clients
- Opportunities to contribute to the development and delivery of EHS training courses
- Work schedule and location varies based on client’s needs. Occasional travel into New York City and surrounding areas is often required.
• 0-3 years of experience as an IH and Safety Professional
• Basic EHS knowledge and experience in areas of construction (highly desired) and industry safety, hazardous waste, IH and/or emergency response
• BS or BA in biology, chemistry,or environmental science
• Team player with excellent communication skills
Send email to Dora Medini: email@example.com
Environmental, Health and Safety Engineer – Somerset, NJ
OFS is a leading edge designer, manufacturer and supplier of optical fiber and cable, specialty fiber optic products and solutions for a wide variety of applications and industries. OFS has a proven track record of being first in the industry with new application specific products.
As leader in optical innovations, we are searching for an Environmental, Health & Safety Engineer to support our research laboratory and manufacturing efforts at our Somerset, NJ facility.
Individual will support Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) programs by maintaining and monitoring the EHS programs at the site. Position will report the General Manager.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting workplace EHS and Building Systems inspections (using operation-specific checklists prepared by Facilities and EHS Management Team), documenting/ reporting findings, supporting and documenting corrective actions.
- Participation in incident investigations and root cause analysis, documenting/ reporting findings, supporting and documenting corrective actions.
- Maintaining Community-Right-To-Know (CRTK) documentation (including up-to-date chemical inventories by building location).
- Maintaining Material Safety Data Sheets for chemicals in the CRTK Inventory.
- Support the receipt and safe/secure storage and distribution of chemicals and compressed gasses inside the facility.
- Support the collection and safe/secure storage of wastes and recyclable materials generated by the facility. Coordinate shipping of wastes and maintain and organize associated waste manifests and shipping papers.
- Inspect, test, and document required performance criteria for the facility’s air and wastewater treatment operations.
- May support troubleshooting and service of gas delivery systems, chemical metering/ dispensing systems, and pollution control systems. Understanding of mechanical systems and gas leak detection devices a plus.
- Lead/assist chemical spill/ release response and help to ensure site readiness efforts
- Assist any medical emergency and fire response and help to ensure site readiness
- Participate on the Site Safety Team meetings and activities
- Participate in Stormwater Pollution Prevention Team meetings and activities
- Support a broad range of EHS training activities as directed by the EHS Manager
- Monitor and support conformance to Contractor and Visitor and site security and safety policies.
- Support EHS reviews and planning for new equipment installation and existing equipment modification
- Support Laser Safety Officer and Laser Safety program monitoring
- Support management of radiation dosimeter badges and testing/ certification of radiation generating equipment.
- Performs other related duties as required by management.
- Employees are expected to serve as role models for safe work practices and behaviors. This includes following established health and safety policies and procedures, maintaining a clean, organized work area, wearing, and properly storing all personal protective equipment (PPE), and actively engaging as a safety conscious worker with personal safety and wellness as a priority.
Key Qualifications include:
- BS in engineering, chemical engineering or related field preferred.
- Background or work experience with electrical safety, lockout/tagout, chemical process safety, machine guarding, building automation systems, HVAC systems, indoor air quality investigations, air sampling, ergonomics, fall protection, forklift safety, PPE program management, respiratory protection programs, lab safety, and/or life safety considered a plus.
- Working knowledge of OSHA and DEP regulations.
- Experience with 5S/6S and working in “Lean Manufacturing” environments a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to execute work assignment and perform duties with or without direct supervision.
- Maintain a safe and professional work environment consistent with company and departmental safety guidelines/ procedures.
- Maintain confidentiality when working with proprietary information.
For more information, and to apply, visit http://www.ofsoptics.com/manufacturing-j4.html
Site Safety Manager – Washington, D.C.
Safety manager required for 12 to 24 month installation of co-gen in Washington DC.
Project will require occasional saturdays and weeks of 10 hour days.
Applicants must have a minimum of 5 years heavy equipment safety oversight with strong electrical background.
CSP certification a plus but may be substituted with extensive experience.
10604 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
Industrial Hygienist/Indoor Air Quality Professional – Philadelphia, PA
Edifice Rx currently has an opening for a full-time Industrial Hygienist/Indoor Air Quality Professional to provide IEQ studies, environmental health and safety surveys, post-construction LEED testing and mold evaluations in the Mid-Atlantic Region.
Edifice Rx® is a unique company that specializes in the development and maintenance of healthy Indoor Environmental Quality (IEQ) in commercial, multi-family, schools and industrial buildings. Edifice Rx works with building owners, property managers, facility managers, operators, contractors, and tenants. Our mission is the improvement of a building’s ability to affect occupant productivity, health and well-being, from new building construction through healthy building operation and maintenance.
The Industrial Hygienist will be responsible for performing tasks including but not limited to:
- Air quality sampling
- Water quality sampling
- Materials sampling
- LEED v3 EQ3.2 air quality testing
- Moisture and mold investigations
- Environmental Health and Safety surveys
- Data compilation
- Report preparation
- Client communications and project tracking
- Assistance with project management
- Construction document review (mechanical drawings and floor plans)
- Prepare scope of work/proposal documents
- Prepare LEED v3 EQ3.1 (Construction IEQ), Health and Safety, IPM, Legionella and other IEQ related EQ management plans
- Provide on-site training for various EQ parameters
- Work with Certified Industrial Hygienists and provide support where needed
- Equipment maintenance and supply inventory
- Attend professional meetings, training sessions and obtain certification(s)
- BS in Environmental Science, Industrial Hygiene/Safety, or other applicable technical major. MS preferred but not required
- 0-4 years’ experience
- Knowledge of mold sampling standards (IICRC, NYC, ASTM) preferred
- Knowledge of general commercial building system operations
- Knowledge/experience working on building construction job sites and review of mechanical plans
- Knowledge of USGBC LEED v3 2009, ASHRAE EQ standards, AIHA guidelines and OSHA preferred
- OSHA 10 or 30 certification preferred, but not required
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including maintaining effective communication with clients, project teams, and management
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks and accept direction
- Accuracy and completeness of project deliverables
- Ability to complete work in accordance with project deadlines and budgets
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple projects and priorities on an ongoing basis
- Excellent customer service skills
- Time management and close interaction with clients
- Strong work ethic, reliability and trustworthiness
- Valid driver’s license and automobile for transportation.
- Ability to lift 50lbs
- Periodic out of town travel (Mid-Atlantic) will be required for this position.
- While rare, night work and potential weekend work may be required during emergency response work.
Contact: Karl Stefan – firstname.lastname@example.org or Katherine Wilde – email@example.com
Delaware Valley candidates preferred. No relocation budget available.