Senior Safety Engineer – NY/NJ
The Port Authority of NY & NJ
Job ID: 37093
Department: Operations Services
Location: Port Authority Technical Cntr
Under the direction of the Supervisor, Occupational Health, the Senior Safety Engineer will be responsible for evaluating occupational and environmental health conditions at Port Authority facilities; identifying and characterizing potential chemical, biological and physical hazards; establishing controls using instruments, reference information and experience; preparing reports and reviewing and interpreting occupational and public health regulations and participating in developing or revising agency protocols. This position requires travel to all Port Authority facilities and work hours may include some early mornings and evening shifts.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in occupational and environmental health science, public health, occupational safety and health or a related scientific discipline such as biology, chemistry, physics, environmental engineering, etc. from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum three years practical experience in Occupational Health or related field.
- Applicants must be committed to the use of Safety Management System principles to further improve the Agency’s safety performance.
- Diversified experience in reviewing, interpreting and implementing occupational health codes, including NYSDOH, NJDOH, CDC, NJDEP, NYSDEC, NYCDEP, NYCDOH, EPA, and industry guidelines and standards.
- Applicants must possess a valid driver’s license.
The successful candidate will be subject to a comprehensive background check, must pass a fingerprint based criminal history records check in order to obtain an airport Security Identification Display (SIDA) credential. The candidate must be able to maintain the SIDA credentials throughout their employment in the position.
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Ability to interpret analytical results and develop appropriate recommendations.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to deal effectively with staff at all levels internally and externally.
- Ability to manage a variety of highly technical tasks and projects from start to finish.
- Knowledge of instruments used to measure physical, chemical and biological hazards.
- Ability to work independently.
- Proficient in the use of computer software including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently and prioritize assignments.
- Certified Industrial Hygienist or equivalent preferred but not required.
For more information and to apply, visit http://www.jointheportauthority.com/jobs/5077332-senior-safety-engineer
Health Safety Specialist I – Piscataway, NJ
Two Openings Available
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Health Safety Specialist I for the Department of Environmental Health & Safety. This position acts as the department’s continual presence, liaison and provider of routine services to the University community. All services and activities are carried out and performed without adverse health effects to faculty, staff, students or public, in a manner that will protect the environment, in accordance with federal, state, and local regulations, accepted professional standards, in accordance with University policies and procedures, and in an open and sensitive manner so that University’s resources are conserved and future liability is limited.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
• Assists or has program responsible for the development, implementation and auditing of environmental, health and safety programs.
• Continually inspects for and assesses environmental, health and safety (EH&S) hazards
• Responsible for one-on-one communication of University policies and procedures.
• Responds to emergencies and requests for hazard assessments and investigations
• May advise and assist junior Health Safety Specialist in providing technical services on their campus.
• Carries out educational programs in EHS and risk management.
• Brings to the attention of the Director/Associate Director circumstances that could develop into wide spread internal/external risk.
• Develops and/or assist in the devlopment, implementation, auditing of environmental, health and safety programs.
• Bachelor’s degree preferably in Health Physics, Industrial Hygiene, Safety Engineering, or Hazardous Waste Management
• A minimum of 5 years of experience.
• Certification in the health/safety profession or training and experience sufficient to become certified in the health/safety profession and the intent to become certified.
• Experience and familiarity with the resources that are available to help make sound technical judgement for the resolution of a broad spectrum of issues in the EH&S field.
• Must have in depth knowledge of regulations and professional practice.
• Ability, experience, judgement and maturity to carry out all departmental responsibilities with limited supervision and to interact effectively with University community.
• Excellent communication skills, both orally and written.
• Excellent time management skills to routinely address multiple issues and activities
• Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License for business purposes.
• Position requires the person to be able to use a PC, Word, Excel, PPT and other EH&S software programs and databases.
• Must have knowledge of the operation and functions of various sampling equipment.
• Finalist will be required to take a physical and lung function test.
• Clean Driving Record
• Master’s Degree or completion of a graduate level program in Health Physics, Industrial Hygiene, Safety Engineering, or Hazardous Waste Management is preferred.
• Active membership and participation in an EH&S professional society.
For more information and to apply, visit https://jobs.rutgers.edu/postings/109014