EHS Manager – New Brunswick, NJ
Do you want to join a growing company with a proven track record for success and growth? Europastry is a family business founded in Barcelona in 1987 by Pere Galles with locations worldwide! The bakery business is our passion and this is your opportunity to be a member of our team.
We are searching for a motivated & experienced Manager of EHS who will be responsible for assuring high standards of health and safety excellence in the prevention of accidents, incidents, and events that have potential for harm to employees, property, community and the environment. This individual will be responsible for collaborating with Corporate HR and NY Safety on developing and maintaining the quality and thoroughness Safety Programs. Primary responsibility will be New Brunswick, NJ facility.
- Manages safety training programs
- Identifies existing hazards by implementing qualitative and quantitative analysis of sources, systems, activities and operations.
- Formulates and administrates safety policies and procedures to be followed by company or plant personnel in compliance with local, state and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) rules and regulations, FDA, DEC, NEC, NYSDA, NIOSH, ANSI, NFPA, and DEP requirements.
- Performs audits of the organizations facilities to detect hazards and exposures and recommends corrective or preventative measures where indicated.
- Leads in the investigation of incidents and injuries and cooperates in the preparation of material and evidence for organization use in hearings, lawsuits, and insurance investigations.
- Compiles and submits incident/injury reports required by regulatory agencies.
- Manages training programs which will increase proficiency in safe practices and promote safety consciousness.
- Prepares and arranges safety exhibits and material for display, promotional work, industry conferences and exhibitions.
- Represents the organization in outside community or industry safety groups and programs.
- Maintains safety files and records
- Performs internal investigations in regard to the security of the Company.
- Oversees all security personnel to ensure all aspects of perimeter and physical plant security
- Maintains professional credentials and knowledge required for this position.
- Consults with all departments on the design and use of equipment, shops, fire prevention and safety systems.
- Collaborate with Corporate HR and insurance broker and carriers with site visits and worker’s compensation claims.
- Acts as a liaison with all medical professional as it pertains to Worker’s Compensation.
- Oversees the administration of workers” compensation program, including working with insurance carrier to cut down on lost employee time and cut back on unjust claims.
- Ensures that all contractors meet or exceed Europastry USA’s contractor safety system including by excluding insurance requirements.
- Collaborate with engineering with new equipment commissioning and related safety assessment and risk analysis.
- Lead all efforts to meet environmental regulatory requirements.
- Oversees Safety Committees.
- Oversee employee and building security
- Ensure compliance with all relevant federal, state, and local E,H & S regulations.
- Oversees compliance to safety programs in the facility of NJ.
- Other safety, security and environment project activities\
In addition to the essential duties and responsibilities listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments. Must follow all Company Safety policies, as well as all GMP regulations and all lock-out/tag-out requirements according to OSHA requirements.
- As part of your supervisory responsibility and as a back-up, supervisors must be able to do your work in ways that ensure safe food. You must also be aware of issues associated with food safety and safe food handling practices that are relevant to your job. Formal training is not required, but in house Food Safety Training conducted by a qualified staff member is mandatory. You must know how to recognize, prevent and alleviate food safety hazards. This position requires good working knowledge of the SQF code.
- The Maintenance Manager is responsible for Food Safety and enforcing the SQF Code. In the absence of the Maintenance Manager, the Maintenance Assistant Manager will be the backup. In the absence of the Maintenance Manager and Assistant Manager, the Plant General Manager will be the backup.
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 5-10 years experience working in a manufacturing facility ensuring safety compliance.
- Bi-lingual (Spanish) a plus.
- Experience working with OSHA and other federal agencies pertaining to all areas of safety
- Knowledge of environmental regulations and policies in New Jersey.
- Mechanical Engineering Experience (Preferred).
For more information and to apply, visit https://ehscareers.com/job/manager-environmental-health-safety-ehs-manager-new-brunswick-new-jersey-223490
Industrial Hygiene Manager – Ewing, NJ
The College of New Jersey
The office of Facilities Management is seeking candidates for an Industrial Hygiene Manager.
The Industrial Hygiene Manger is directly and solely responsible for the following programs: Right To Know, Hazard Communication, Globally Harmonized System, Indoor Air Quality Program and associated Designated Person, Microbial Growth Prevention Program including working with camps and Operations groups to ensure microbial growth prevention measures are being adhered to, Project Manger for indoor air quality investigations and remediation projects (microbial and asbestos), Asbestos Program, conducts indoor air quality investigations, manages all microbial projects, acts as a liaison with Health Departments, investigates drinking water quality concerns, coordinates drinking water sampling as needed, responds to floods or other water intrusion events on campus to oversee proper remediation and updates campus leaders for property insurance considerations, and works with the Emergency Preparedness Manager for responses to pandemics and other health emergency events
- Reviews, analyzes, interprets, and applies applicable State and Federal statutes, regulations, policies, and industry standards and guidance concerning environmental, health, and industrial hygiene.
- Identifies potential areas of non-compliance concerning assigned programs.
- Advises supervisor on corrective and/or required actions; provides recommendations for resolution. Prepares clear, technical sound, accurate, and informative reports containing findings, conclusions, and recommendations based on inspections or work completed.
- Coordinates and participates in the inspections of all facilities for compliance conditions by regulatory agencies
- Serves as the lead in any inspection performed by the Department of Labor and Workforce Development, Ewing Township and/or Mercer County Health Department(s), and the NJ Department of Health.
- Investigates complaints of alleged health violations and/or concerns, and ensures that findings are clearly communicated to the impacted party and that the remediation of any found violation is completed as necessary and appropriate using available means.
- Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor’s Degree in industrial safety, industrial hygiene, occupational health, environmental science, or a related science discipline or equivalent. Applicants who do not possess the required education may substitute experience on a year for year basis. Master’s degree may be substituted for one (1) year of required experience.
- Certified Industrial Hygienist, or the ability to become a Certified Industrial Hygienist
- Minimum of three (3) years experience in an Industrial Hygiene related position
- Possession of a valid driver’s license in good standing issued from the state of residence
- Ability to comprehend, analyze, interpret, and apply complex laws, regulations, procedures, and industry standards related to health environmental and industrial hygiene issues
- Ability to establish liaison and maintain cooperative working relationships with other staff and and outside departments and agencies who work directly with this position
- Ability to prepare clear, technically sound, accurate and informative reports containing findings, conclusions, and recommendations
- Ability to conduct inspections, surveys, investigative research, and studies. Ability to assign and monitor the work of other employees, including employees not under supervision.
- Final offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of background check and reference checks
- COVID-19 Testing and Compliance – The College has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination requirement. To learn more, please read the policy here: COVID-19 Requirements and Protocols. You will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Human Resources office prior to your first day of employment.
For more information and to apply, visit https://ehscareers.com/job/industrial-hygiene-manager-ewing-new-jersey-223498
Construction Safety Specialist – Princeton, NJ
PPPL, operated by Princeton University for the Department of Energy (DOE), is seeking a results-driven Construction Safety Specialist, to fulfill a one-year term appointment for ES&H support and assurance on construction and major projects. This position serves as a key member of the ES&H Construction & Project Safety Division team and will provide valuable assistance to National Spherical Torus Experiment – Upgrade (NSTX-U) Recovery, Tritium System Demolition & Disposal (TSDD) and other future projects being designed by PPPL Projects Management Office (PMO) and Facilities and Site Services.
The ideal candidate must be able to pro-actively and effectively implement DOE’s and PPPL’s Integrated Safety Management principles and strive for to reach PPPL’s zero-injury goal. This role will promote project safety, integrated program of best practices, standards, guidance and procedures. This individual is expected to enable and foster a proactive and integrated safety culture that promotes a sense of urgency based on safety observations, assessments, and open feedback to mitigate risk and identify hazards.
Reporting the ES&H Head of Construction and Project Safety Division, the term Construction Safety Specialist will also activity support Lab-wide initiatives, responsible for assuring the implementation of the Lab’s safety and security across the Lab while promoting PPPL’s values of diversity, equity and inclusion. The term Construction Safety Specialist shall act as a strategic partner to enable and assist Project and construction line management in full implementation of ES&H programs.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic, world-renowned research institution and further its work to strengthen our ES&H construction and project safety programs and expertise, develop innovative and efficient solutions to foster line management stewardship of ES&H, and promote a healthy work and safety culture for PPPL.
Are you interested in joining the world’s brightest talent in solving some of the world’s grandest scientific challenges of the 21st century? Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL) is doing just that! Whether it be through science, engineering, technology or professional services, every team member has an opportunity to make their mark on our world. PPPL aims to attract and support people with a rich variety of backgrounds, interests, experiences, and cultural viewpoints. We are committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion and believe that each member of our team contributes to our scientific mission in their own unique way. Come join us!
Assist the Construction Safety Team with the proactive and effective implementation of Integrated Safety Management principles and achievement of its zero-injury goal. The incumbent will serve as a Subject Matter Expert in assisting the team with 1) finding practical, effective solutions for addressing workplace hazards and meeting PPPL requirements, 2) coaching and mentoring workers on safe-work practices and requirements, and 3) frequently observing work in the field and documenting inspections to verify application of required controls and identify changed or changing conditions.
Assist managers, supervisors and workers in fulfilling their roles and responsibilities for safely completing the projects in accordance with PPPL requirements. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- As SME, assist in finding effective, safe-work solutions to hazards and safety challenges.
- Assist with the preparation, review and approval of Job Hazard Analysis (JHAs) and review project procedures for identification of hazards and appropriate controls.
- Conduct pre-shift work area walk-throughs to verify conditions are safe to proceed.
- Assist with pre-job/shift meetings to ensure workers are properly briefed as to the hazards and required controls.
- Continually observe work in the field for changed or changing conditions and verify effective application of controls and pause or stop work when needed.
- Pro-actively identify and communicate problems at their incipient stage and assist project team with their prompt and effective resolution.
- Pause or stop work, if needed.
- Review new or revised procedures and processes for the potential introduction of new hazards and safety challenges.
- Assist with project team and PPPL ES&H organization in reporting safety data and information.
- Perform on-site employee exposure monitoring for a variety of chemical contaminants and noise dosimetry associated with construction projects or facilities activities.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma (required), and associated degree from an accredited college or equivalent in a related field of study (preferred).
- 8 years + direct experience serving as safety specialist in the construction or power industries, or Department of Energy research laboratory complex with degree * 10 years + direct experience serving as a safety specialist in the construction or power industries, or Department of Energy research laboratory complex.
- 3-5 years of experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- General knowledge and experience with OSHA 1910 and 1926 requirements.
- In-depth experience with core physical and chemical hazards such as excavation, confined space, hazardous energy control, elevated work, rigging and material handling, noise, and respiratory hazards. Experience with formal work planning and permitting systems preferred.
- Strong written communication skills including the preparation of technical procedures.
- Ability to effectively communicate with supervisors, co-workers and front-line workers.
- Experience working with multi-trade workforce including mechanical technicians/laborers, electricians and riggers.
- General understanding of industrial hygiene sampling procedures and principles.
- Competence in standard office computer applications.
- Radiological experience, demolition and construction background, preferred.
Certificates and Licenses:
- OSHA 30-hr. Construction or General Industry certification (mandatory).
- Construction Health & Safety Technician (CHST) certification (preferred).
- No medical restrictions on performing physically demanding work, including lifting up to 50 pounds.
- No medical restriction working near static magnetic fields.
- Capable of climbing ladders and working at heights from scaffolding, platforms and powered aerial lifts.
- No medical restrictions on wearing personal protective equipment to include respiratory protection.
- Able to stand for long periods of time and walk around the facility (approximately a few miles per day).
- Regular hours: 7 am to 4 pm.
- Shift work and some weekends may be required.
For more information and to apply, visit https://jobs.assp.org/job/construction-safety-specialist/66940861/
Certified Industrial Hygienist – Exton, PA
WSP is currently initiating a search for a Certified Industrial Hygienist for our Exton, PA office. Be involved in projects with our Federal Programs Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
Visit this link to learn more about our Federal Programs Team https://youtu.be/KB7CcSJ45qw
The Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), will work directly with WSP’s National Operations Manager and WSP’s Lead CIH as part of the key client account program. The ideal candidate will have their CIH registration; however, an experienced Industrial Hygienist (IH) qualified for sitting for and passing the CIH examination within one (1) year of employment, may also be considered.
- The CIH will act as a senior-level Industrial Hygienist (IH), who will provide both technical IH support and provide guidance to the key client, and to WSP’s project management staff. In addition to serving this role, the CIH will support the client program.
- Prepare and assist with completing industrial hygiene survey reports, data entry, impact assessment, and permitting activities for assigned projects.
- Comply with regulatory requirements pertaining to the data integrity, documentation, procedures,
training, monitoring systems, reporting, and record compliance and retention.
- Conduct regulatory research and communicate information within the client program, in support of the project management team and to ensure compliant project execution.
- Perform professional industrial hygiene work and conduct investigations, inspections, and environmental studies and surveys to gain further information on a particular environmental/occupational problem or issue, verify site characteristics, and/or to plan for future needs.
- Interpretation or presentation of data to address, prevent, control, or restore environmental problems.
- Oversee equipment/tool performance and inventory control.
- Provide environmental risk identification of high-level threat mitigation and permitting activities projects to minimize impacts to the health of the environment and the population.
- Assist with development and scoping of medium-sized projects and proposal development.
- Assist with overseeing and working with cross-functional teams in executing project work.
- Prepare and implement site Health and Safety Plans (HASPs).
- Interact with regulatory agencies, subcontractors, and clients in a professional and constructive manner.
- Remain current in latest environmental/occupational science subject matter and techniques.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Health, Engineering, Biology, Environmental Science or equivalent.
- 5 to 7 years of relevant general occupational safety and health/industrial hygiene experience.
- A strong background and experience in ACBM/LBP/Mold assessment, abatement, and/or project monitoring oversight and management of field operations is a must for this position.
- Strong oral/written communication abilities, proposal writing and cost estimating as well as technical report writing experience required.
- The ideal candidate will additionally have a working understanding of our key client, the U.S. Postal Service (USPS), or similar union work force environments in terms of the performance and management of industrial hygiene, ACBM/LBP and other health and safety, and emergency response and preparedness projects
- Working knowledge and experience with State and Federal protection regulations, guidelines, and consulting processes pertaining to specific IH-related hazards.
- Familiarity with local, state, and federal permitting agencies.
- Project management experience with small to mid-level projects including tracking hours and expenses for project work.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills when interacting with others, expressing ideas effectively, professionally, and appropriately to the specific audience.
- Highly capable self-leadership and self-discipline skills, with attention to detail, multi-tasking, and prioritization of responsibilities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work independently and provide guidance and leadership to junior team or project members, with strict adherence to QA/QC.
- Developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to reach conclusions from testing results, data collation, and identify the most effective solutions to accomplish objectives of assigned projects.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- 40-hr OSHA HAZWOPER certification and must be able to pass a HAZWOPER physical and be medically able to wear a tight-fitting respirator.
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) certification is required or the ability to obtain the CIH certification within 12 months of employment.
- Must successfully complete and pass WSP’s Motor Vehicle screening.
- This role is subject to a client-mandated drug/alcohol testing policy. As such, employee may be subject to random drug/alcohol tests. A copy of this policy will be provided during employee onboarding and is available upon applicant request.
- Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
- Relevant master’s degree.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP).
- NIOSH 582/582E trained Phase Contrast Microscopy analyst.
- Previous asbestos and lead inspector and project monitor/planner licenses with current maintenance.
For more information and to apply, visit https://phe.tbe.taleo.net/phe01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=V8D6AK&cws=37&rid=9035
Environmental/Operations Programs Specialist – NYC
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey
Job ID: 60245
Department: Tunnels, Bridges & Terminals
Location: 4 World Trade Center
Reporting to the Senior Program Manager for TB&T’s Operations Services Unit, the Environmental/Operations Programs Specialist will assist and support all departmental efforts in the planning and execution of varied initiatives, projects, and programs to optimize facility maintenance and operations. This includes managing and participating in the development and oversight of environmental, health and safety, and energy/utility management, operating improvements, maintenance trades training and development, and performance measurements.
- Coordinate with various stakeholders including TB&T facilities and Project Management staff, the Office of Sustainability, Engineering, Operations Services Department, Government and Community Relations, and Law on environmental conditions and mitigation, health and safety management, sustainability and energy management and improvements related to programs for customers, tenants, and employees.
- Manage departmental efforts to meet sustainability and energy goals for energy management, GHG management, greening of workplace, utility monitoring and management.
- Represent TB&T on interdepartmental working groups for areas such as underground and aboveground storage tanks, hazardous waste management, sustainability measures, and pandemic health concerns.
- Coordinate with facility staff to identify and implement industry best practices for initial, refresher and on-going training for maintenance trades to ensure a sustainable pipeline of skilled personnel to fill critical maintenance positions. Work with facilities and interdepartmental staff to address environmental inquiries and issues, and ensure environmental compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations.
- Undertake management analyses that promote efficiencies and productivity at both the facility and departmental level including but not limited to: planning, operations, maintenance, equipment, and research and development of technological solutions to support short- and long-term TB&T operations and business strategies.
- Execute special projects as assigned. Prepare written correspondence, reports, and presentations.
- Represent TB&T as a liaison in collaboration with the agency’s Office of Emergency Management Emergency Operations Center during planned activations, emergencies, and severe weather events.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Transportation, Engineering, Planning, Technology, or related field from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of three (3) years of progressively responsible experience managing projects or implementing programs.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge with Federal, State (NY and NJ), and local environmental regulations.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in environmental mitigation, sustainability health and safety, and energy programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Port Authority policies and procedures, specifically as they relate to administration, contracts, human resources, labor, budgeting, the PA Board Process, and audit.
- Demonstrated experience with PeopleSoft, SAP/AVM, Budget Pro, and Microsoft Office Suite
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Demonstrated supervisory or managerial experience coordinating environmental, health and safety, energy projects, studies, permits and licenses.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, including the ability to produce narrative, financial and statistical reports.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrated experience in problem-solving and handling conflict resolution.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment and discretion in handling confidential information.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with unit heads, consultants, employees and staff at all levels and outside organizations.
- Detail oriented and possess excellent organization skills.
- Possess a valid Driver’s License.
For more information and to apply, visit https://www.jointheportauthority.com/jobs/11116935-environmental-slash-operations-programs-specialist
Environmental Health and Safety Director – New York, NY
Hunter College invites applications for a Director of Environmental Health & Safety. In addition to general duties, the Director of Environmental Health & Safety will report to the Vice President for Administration.
- Bachelor’s Degree and eight years’ related experience is required. An advanced degree in environmental science, risk management, industrial hygiene, chemistry, or related engineering, public or business management discipline is preferred.
- Thorough knowledge all city state and federal regulations as they relate to academic institutions.
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing a strong customer service approach to work efforts while motivating staff in a challenging environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of personnel management including interacting effectively with many levels of personnel, providing sound analysis and guidance to supervisory staff, performance management, dispute resolution, and team development.
- Ability to analyze and interpret technical documents or regulations and then determine applicability and steps associated with achieving compliance.
- Ability to effectively organize and present information, data, ideas and concepts in written or presentation format.
For more information and to apply, visit https://ehscareers.com/job/environmental-health-and-safety-director-ehs-director-new-york-new-york-223337
Risk Engineering Industrial Hygiene Consultant – Northeast Region
Our Risk Engineering Organization is currently seeking an Industrial Hygiene Consultant to support the New England and the Northeastern Regions. This is a full- time fully remote work arrangement with up to 50% travel expected.
This role is responsible for conducting Industrial Hygiene workplace evaluations for policy holders as part of a comprehensive Risk Engineering service plan with targeted exposure evaluation and /or exposure reduction activities. Identify and analyze exposures and develop engineering solutions to mitigate risk through partnership with the policyholder.
- Conduct onsite and/or virtual exposure assessments to identify potential occupational health exposures and develop an appropriate industrial hygiene air/noise monitoring strategy.
- Conduct onsite air/noise monitoring survey at customer locations making recommendations as appropriate.
- Develop and deliver meaningful service to customers with engineering solutions to reduce or eliminate exposures.
- Provide Virtual IH Technical Consultation to customers through Microsoft Teams meetings.
- Develop effective relationships with National Account Managers, field Risk Engineering Consultants (REC, Claims and Brokers to develop a valuable Industrial Hygiene service plan for customers.
- Collaborate continually with the RE IH Laboratory to assist customers with self-sampling and interpretation of laboratory analytical reports.
- Develop and/or enhance client expertise and knowledge related to Industrial Hygiene through virtual and/or onsite basic industrial hygiene skills training.
- Create Industrial Hygiene Technical Reports in a timely manner for the policyholders and internal business partners
- Clearly communicate a summary of the consultation provided, including reasonable, appropriate recommendations.
- Achieve monthly production goals including number of visits and hours.
- Provide IH consultation, coaching and mentorship to internal business partners including, regional Risk Engineering (RE) field consultants, National Account managers, Underwriters and Claims.
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) or Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree from a four-year college or university and 3+ years of Industrial Hygiene consultation in either insurance loss prevention, Industrial Hygiene consulting or general industry is required, with an academic focus on Occupational Safety and Health or Public Health.
- Master of Science (M.S.) or Master of Arts (M.A.) in Public Heath, Industrial Hygiene or Occupational Health and Safety preferred with at least 5+ years of experience in industrial hygiene or occupational health related field highly preferred
- Willingness to travel 50% of the time; both local and overnight required. Ability to travel over for work via air, rail, or automobile.
- High degree of technical skills with strong consultative skills and ability to deliver results efficiently and effectively in a timely manner.
- Must have and maintain a Certified Industrial Hygiene (CIH) designation in Comprehensive Practice and/or be capable of sitting for the CIH exam within 2-3 years of hire as qualified to sit for the exam based on education and experience.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle, climb stairs, stand and walk-through customer buildings and facilities to a significant degree. Stooping and bending is also required for this job.
- Lifting 40 lbs. maximum with some lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 20 lbs.
- Ability to work in outside uncontrolled environmental conditions and ability to work safely in a wide variety of customer environments that may contain physical conditions, such as: exposure to extreme heat or cold, chemicals, electrical current and moving mechanical parts.
For more information and to apply, visit https://thehartford.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Careers_External/job/Morristown-NJ/Risk-Engineering-Industrial-Hygiene-Consultant—Northeast-Region_R2210726/?source=Hartshares
Industrial Hygienist – OSHA
This Position is with the Department of Labor, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Region 3; and will report to one of the following Area Offices: Charleston, WV or Philadelphia, PA.
- This is not a virtual position.
- This position is inside the bargaining unit.
- Candidate may be required to submit a writing sample as part of the interview process.
- Additional selections may be made from this vacancy announcement, if approved.
GS-9 Level duties
- Assists in assessing the quality and uniformity of inspection programs and interviews officials in order to identify real of potential problems.
- Assists in conducting, evaluating and analyzing select portions of OSHA programs, procedures, inspections, citations, and reports to determine compliance with approved occupational safety standards and programs.
- Evaluates inspection records, assists in conducting investigations, and prepares select reports. Participates in re-inspections of workplaces previously inspected by state compliance personnel.
- Assists in planning and conducting portions of or limited inspections or compliance reviews of private businesses and worksites whose operations are generally characterized by the presence of moderately stable, low-risk processes and some higher hazards and unsafe working conditions.
- Writes complete and legally sufficient case files documenting all inspection procedures, interviews, sampling, identified hazards, and corrective actions.
- Assists in conducting or may conduct opening and closing conferences with management officials, employees, and labor representatives regarding enforcement findings and applicable occupational safety and health policies and regulations.
- A bachelor’s or graduate/higher level degree in industrial hygiene, occupational health sciences, occupational and environmental health, toxicology, safety sciences, or related science; or
- A bachelor’s degree in a branch of engineering, physical science, or life science that included 12 semester hours in chemistry, including organic chemistry, and 18 additional semester hours of courses in any combination of chemistry, physics, engineering, health physics, environmental health, biostatistics, biology, physiology, toxicology, epidemiology, or industrial hygiene; or
- Certification from the American Board of Industrial Hygiene (external link) (ABIH).
- Assisting in the planning of and/or conducting occupational safety and/or occupational health inspections of workplaces where the exposures and types of hazards are predictable in advance. Examples may include the following:
- Health sampling;
- Chemical exposures and/or overexposures;
- Noise exposures and/or overexposures;
- Equipment and/or machine operations;
- Environmental conditions;
- Work practices;
- Protective devices and/or protective equipment;
- Safety procedures.
- Studying records and/or files regarding any of the following:
- Occupational safety and/or occupational health mishaps/accidents;
- Occupational safety and/or occupational health injuries;
- Equipment maintenance data.
- Identifying occupational health and safety hazards;
- Recording and/or photographing plain-view occupational safety and/or occupational health hazards
- Evaluating occupational safety and/or occupational health programs and making recommendations for improvement when deficiencies are noted;
- Applying occupational safety and/or occupational health standards and criteria to unsafe working conditions;
- Interpreting and/or applying standards and/or criteria and/or operating instructions for occupational safety and/or occupational health.
- Subject to drug test prior to appointment at GS-11 and GS-12 grade levels.
- Appointment to this position may require a background investigation.
- Requires a probationary period if the requirement has not been met.
- Requires a medical examination and must meet physical requirements.
- Requires a valid drivers license and ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- Must be at least 16 years old and a U.S. Citizen.
- You will be required to lift items weighing up to 25 pounds,
- This position requires the use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
For more information and to apply, visit https://www.usajobs.gov/job/679194500
Health Safety Specialist I – Piscataway, NJ
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Health Safety Specialist I for the Department of Environmental Health & Safety. This position acts as the department’s continual presence, liaison and provider of Industrial Hygiene services to the University community. Assist or has program responsible for the development, implementation and auditing of environmental, health and safety programs. All services and activities are carried out and performed without adverse health effects to faculty, staff, students or public, in a manner that will protect the environment, in accordance with federal, state, and local regulations, accepted professional standards, in accordance with University policies and procedures, and in an open and sensitive manner so that University’s resources are conserved and future liability is limited.
- Assists or has program responsible for the development, implementation and auditing of environmental, health and safety programs.
- Continually inspects for and assesses environmental, health and safety (EH&S) hazards
- Responsible for one-on-one communication of University policies and procedures.
- Responds to emergencies and requests for hazard assessments and investigations
- May advise and assist junior Health Safety Specialist in providing technical services on their campus.
- Carries out educational programs in EHS and risk management.
- Brings to the attention of the Director/Associate Director circumstances that could develop into wide spread internal/external risk.
- Develops and/or assist in the development, implementation, auditing of environmental, health and safety programs.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in Health Physics, Industrial Hygiene, Safety Engineering, or Hazardous Waste Management
- A minimum of 5 years of related experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and written.
- Excellent time management skills to routinely address multiple issues and activities.
- Scientific training in the physical, chemical, or life sciences at the undergraduate level
- Certification in the health/safety profession or training and experience sufficient to become certified in the heath/safety profession and the intent to become certified.
- Experience and familiarity with the resources that are available to help make sound technical judgements for the resolution of a broad spectrum of issues in the EH&S field.
- Master’s Degree or completion of a graduate level program in Health Physics, Industrial Hygiene, Safety Engineering, or Hazardous Waste Management is preferred.
- Ability, experience, judgement and maturity to carry out all departmental responsibilities with limited supervision and to interact effectively with university community.
- Certification as a Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) as awarded by the ABIH.
- Active membership and participation in an EH&S professional society.
- Ability to use a PC, Word, Excel, PPT and other EH&S software programs and databases.
- Knowledge of the operation and functions of various sampling equipment.
For more information and to apply, visit https://jobs.rutgers.edu/postings/180470
Radiation Safety Technologist – Newark, NJ
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey is seeking a Radiation Safety Technologist for the Rutgers Environmental Health and Safety department within Institutional Planning and Operations.
Under the broad technical and administrative supervisor of the Radiation Safety Officer, conducts a wide variety of health physics services, including performing routine audits of radioactive material laboratories, calibration of laboratory analytical equipment and GM counter, package integrity tests, bioassays, and decommissioning of laboratories. Assists with determining compliance with NRC and NJDEP regulations, as well as policies and procedures established by the Rutgers Radiation Safety Committee.
Among key duties of this position are the following:
- Accepts delivery of, inspects, and performs package surveys on all radioactive isotopes prior to transferring of authorized users.
- Conducts routine calibration and documentation of laboratory analytical equipment; calibrates portable radiation survey meters; assists in lead apron integrity checks.
- Assists in managing the personal monitoring program (film and ring badge); conducts routine monitoring and analysis of bioassays from personnel using select radionuclides.
- Conducts inventory of all sealed and unsealed radioactive material sources on a routine basis.
- Assists in collection, packaging, and disposal of radioactive waste material; make arrangements for pick-up by vendor.
- Bachelor’s Degree in physics, chemistry, other physical science, or a closely related field.
Additional related experience may be substituted for the degree on a year-for-year basis when coupled with a high school diploma.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Strong organizational, interpersonal, and analytical skills. Computer literate with proficiency and working knowledge of software such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience in handling and analysis of radioactive materials.
- Standing, sitting, walking, talking or hearing. No special vision requirements. Ability to lift or exert force up to 25 lbs.
- Office environment. Moderate Noise.
For more information and to apply, visit https://jobs.rutgers.edu/postings/182253
Biosafety Officer – Newark, NJ
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey is seeking a Biosafety Officer for the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health & Safety Services (EOHSS) within Rutgers, Institutional Planning and Operations.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
- Identifies and evaluates occupational exposures as well as hazardous conditions in laboratories and related premises.
- Recommends controls to eliminate and/or minimize employee health risks in laboratories and related premises.
- Performs surveys/audits of laboratories and practices to ensure appropriate health and safety practices, chemical storage, management and disposal, and chemical hood operation.
- Assists, as appropriate and necessary, with matters related to clinical infection control by providing technical support with regards to appropriate disinfectant and decontamination procedures.
- Reviews laboratory research and animal research protocols to ensure appropriate health and safety practices.
- Assists investigators with interpretation of NIH Recombinant DNA Guidelines, CDC and FDA requirements, and any other applicable regulations or guidelines.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, or Industrial Hygiene and Safety or other related science, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience with a minimum of three (3) years of experience in the field of biological or laboratory safety.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety practices and equipment including appropriate use of hoods and laboratory ventilation, personal protective equipment, and chemical safety and storage.
- Demonstrated ability to respond to emergencies and critical situations appropriately in a research setting.
- Able to walk/stand for extended periods of time, wear Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) up to Level A, and provide emergency response services, as needed (including rotating on-call/off-hours services).
- Ability to prepare clear, accurate and informative reports containing findings, conclusions, and recommendations, along with superior oral presentation and other communications skills.
- Use of the Internet for research purposes, and experience with computers (email, desktop software applications such as Office, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize and manage the successful completion of projects.
- CBSP certification.
- Standing, sitting, walking, talking or hearing. No special vision requirements.
- Office environment. Moderate Noise.
- Successfully complete a security risk assessment by the U.S. Department of Justice and be approved for access to select biological agents and toxins by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)/Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) as a condition of employment.
For more information and to apply, visit https://jobs.rutgers.edu/postings/180861
Sr. Biosafety Officer (BSL3) – Newark, NJ
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey is seeking a Senior Biosafety Officer in the Department of Rutgers Environmental Health and Safety (REHS) within Institutional Planning and Operations (IPO). Under the direction of the University Biosafety Officer, the Senior Biosafety Officer is the primary liaison for clinical health and safety operations at the university and administrates the University’s Clinical Health and Safety Committee. The incumbent is the designated official to ensure compliance with various laws, regulations, standards, guidelines, policies, and procedures in various healthcare facilities operated by university community, academic and research units. The Senior Biosafety Officer is an expert on the control and safe handling of biological hazards, BBP, and respiratory protection. The Position supports healthcare related directors and managers in developing standard operating procedures and protocols for research, maintains and updates the university’s exposure control plan, works to create consistency across all clinical operations, performs hazard assessments, provided input regarding emergency response plans and procedures, assists with healthcare and diagnostic related accreditations (e.g. JCAHO, AAAHC, CMS, CAP, etc.). The Senior Biosafety Officer is the EHS representative on applicable Environmental of Care (EOC) Committees.
Among the key duties of this position are the following;
- Supervises the clinical health and safety program affecting all aspects of academic, community, research, teaching and administrative activities.
- Serves as expert on the control and safe handling of biological hazards, including infection prevention and control of pathogenic bacteria, viruses and fungi.
- Maintains current knowledge of laws regulating the transportation, storage and use of biological hazards, including diagnostic specimens, regulated medical waste, sharps, controlled substances, and human specimens.
- Informs faculty, healthcare provider and other practitioners of applicable regulatory requirements via written materials and training sessions.
- Participates in the supervision and evaluation of Biosafety Officers with assignments at NJMS biocontainment and related facilities.
- Must possess a minimum of a Master’s Degree in Public Health, Biological Sciences, Microbiology, Chemistry, Industrial Hygiene, Safety, or other related field of study.
- Scientific training, education and/or experience equivalent to a Masters’ Degree may be considered.
- Must also have at least eight (8) years of work experience as a biosafety specialist or officer, three (3) of which must be in the area of planning, operation, and oversight in clinical related health and safety operations.
- Status as a Registered Biosafety Professional (RBP) and/or Certified Biosafety Professional (CBSP).
- Demonstrated knowledge of federal and state laws, regulations, standards, guidelines, and other related conventions healthcare, bloodborne pathogens, transportation of hazardous and etiological materials, hazardous chemicals in laboratories, and other relevant subjects, including those of CDC, NJDOH, PEOSH and OSHA.
- Ability to prepare clear, accurate and informative reports containing findings, conclusions, and recommendations, along with superior oral presentation and other communications skills required. Use of the Internet for research purposes, and experience with computers (email, desktop software applications such as Office, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Outstanding human relations and leadership skills, and the ability to function in a team environment required; must be able to work independently and without supervision, and on multiple simultaneous projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge is necessary of how to accomplish superior performance in a unionized environment.
- Demonstrated ability to respond to emergencies and critical situations appropriately in a research setting.
- Experience working in a university setting or health care environment.
- Ability to lift or exert force up to 25 lbs.
- Must be able to walk/stand for extended periods of time, wear Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) up to Level B, and provide emergency response services, as needed (including rotating on-call/off-hours services).
For more information and to apply, visit https://jobs.rutgers.edu/postings/182247
Manager Environmental Affairs – Piscataway, NJ
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Manager for Environmental Services for the department of Environmental Health & Safety. This position is responsible for carrying out all University activities related to environmental affairs, including preparation, modification, and submission of all required air permits, environmental permits, site remediation, environmental assessments for property transfers, storm-water management, RCRA and hazardous materials management and disposal, pesticide management, and emergency response for all university locations.
- Ensures that all activities are or can be carried out without adverse health effects on the faculty, students, staff, visitors, and the surrounding public, in a manner that will protect the environment; and in accordance with state and federal health-safety and environmental regulations, professional health-safety standards, and University policy and procedure.
- Responsible for the development, implementation and operation of related environmental programs, hazardous material spill response and management of clean up; submittal and compliance with applicable permits, liaison with regulatory agencies, auditing of programs, development and review of RFPs, and a comprehensive University-wide training and communication effort to accomplish or aid in the accomplishment of program objectives.
- Position reports to the Associate Director and University Radiation Safety Officer.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience in scientific training in the physical, chemical or life sciences.
- A minimum of five years of practical work experience including successfully managing staff members.
- Professional certification (CSP, CIH, CHMM, CHP) or the education, training and experience sufficient to become certified in the EH&S profession.
- Thorough knowledge of environmental regulations (federal, state, local), be able to develop contracts, manage contractors, and kept abreast of remediation technologies
- Educational and technical expertise to implement and carry out a broad range of environmental activities that must include a comprehensive knowledge of subject matter, practical applications including new technologies and remedial techniques, experience in these areas and the ability to independently make these determinations.
- Master’s Degree or completion of a graduate level program in a related field.
- 7 years of practical work experience
- Active membership and participation in a health/safety related professional society.
- Familiar with the operations, calibration, use and limitation of various sampling equipment (i.e PIDs, GMs, mercury vapor analyzers, etc)
- Ability to wear and use a respirator (up to SCBA, work in hot, confined spaces, and be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
For more information and to apply, visit https://jobs.rutgers.edu/postings/180506
Exposure Scientist – Clinton, NJ
ExxonMobil Biomedical Sciences, Inc. (EMBSI) is accepting applications for an Exposure Scientist. This position can be located in our New Jersey (Clinton), or Texas (Houston).
- As a member of the ExxonMobil Biomedical Sciences Inc. (EMBSI) team, you will work alongside scientists and engineers around the globe to understand, research, and develop health, environmental and product safety solutions for ExxonMobil and the communities we serve. In this role you will have an impact by:
- Working collaboratively with health and environmental teams to evaluate worker, consumer, and community exposures and risks associated with ExxonMobil products and operations
- Providing strategic guidance in all aspects of exposure science to inform business decisions
- Envisioning and advancing new assessment methodologies needed to evaluate the next generation of ExxonMobil products and processes
- Leading technical initiatives within professional organizations and trade associations
- Advancing the scientific dialogue through presentations at technical conferences and publications in the peer reviewed literature
- Displaying an interest and capacity to continuously grow as an expert and leader
- Broad experience and a graduate degree in exposure sciences, industrial hygiene, occupational and environmental hygiene, engineering, or a related field
- Strong working knowledge of exposure assessment and control approaches, models, and statistics
- Interest in expanding breadth and depth across all areas of exposure science
- Excellent project management and communication skills (written and oral), including an ability to interpret exposure information for both experts and non-experts
- Ability to work independently, embrace change, and collaborate with individuals with diverse backgrounds and scientific disciplines
- Ability to accommodate periodic domestic and international travel
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Familiarity with human health risk assessment principles
- Experience with co-exposures, epidemiology, prevention through design, and/or life cycle approaches
- Familiarity with exposure models, data analytics, informatics, machine learning, artificial intelligence and statistical approaches to assess exposure
- Demonstrated ability to lead, influence and collaborate with other scientists to produce impactful work products and publications
- Experienced hires encouraged to apply
For more information and to apply, visit https://jobs.exxonmobil.com/ExxonMobil/job/Clinton-Exposure-Scientist-NJ-08809/820502000/
Industrial Hygienist – Livingston, NJ
PHASE Associates, LLC is a full-service Environmental, Occupational Health and Safety consulting and training firm with over 25 years of experience creating customized solutions for federal, state, corporate and private sector clients. PHASE Associates mission is to be an industry leader offering sensible and sustainable solutions to occupational and health challenges. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest quality of work on each project.
PHASE Associates is currently seeking an Industrial hygienist with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in Industrial hygiene, exposure monitoring, and Indoor Air Quality surveys. This individual will be part of a team supporting federal and state contracts within the Northeast region of the country. This is a hands-on position involving overnight and multi-state travel approximately 75% of the year. Training resources, report templates, and equipment will be provided by the Lead Project Manager.
- Conduct industrial hygiene surveys for ventilation, noise dosimetry, process evaluation, risk assessments, evaluation of inventory controls. Possible airborne exposure monitoring, illumination, and IAQ measurement may have to be taken.
- Visual physical inspection of the facility which includes but are not limited to lead paint, mold, moisture, and/or asbestos.
- Collect lead surface wipes.
- Order sampling equipment/sampling media and filling out chain of custody.
- Prepare reports summarizing findings, data interpretation, and recommendations to improve work conditions.
- Complete and submit timesheet, expense report, field reports, etc. on a timely basis.
- Operate and maintain instruments including velocity meters, noise dosimeters, sound level meters, sampling pumps, direct read instruments, etc.
- Other responsibilities may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) in Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Science, Chemistry or Engineering, or related field from a four-year accredited college or university.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in industrial hygiene, required.
- Previous experience working for the government or state, preferred.
- Experience conducting industrial hygiene surveys; indoor air Quality (IAQ), noise monitoring
- Experience operating industrial hygiene instruments and equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of OSHA regulation and other federal, state, and local health and safety, and environmental regulations such as ACGIH and NIOSH is essential.
- Must be comfortable working independently.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to provide efficient, timely, and reliable service to clients and to meet report deadlines
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds
- 75% travel via air or vehicle to project sites located throughout the Northeast coast
For more information and to apply, visit https://www.indeed.com/job/industrial-hygienist-98afe020aa64ada8
2023 Intern – Rahway, NJ
2023 Intern – Environmental Compliance and Technical Services, Global Safety & Environment
Merck, Rahway, New Jersey, United States (on-site)
Projects may include:
- Assisting with environmental compliance program implementation and improvements.
- Assisting with calculations associated with environmental compliance program implementation.
- Supporting environmental activities at Company sites.
- Reviewing new or revised environmental regulations and assessing impact to company sites.
- Supporting the development of innovative tools for environmental program improvement.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelors/ Master’s Degree in Safety, Environmental Science, Engineering, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Biology or another technical program.
- Completed at least 2 years of College course work
- Able to work full time for a period of 9-12 weeks
- Critical thinking, communication, problem-solving and computer skills
- Ability to receive verbal or written direction and implement corresponding changes
- Ability to think critically about process inefficiencies and propose solutions
- Prior internship or work experience in the Environmental, Health, and Safety field or in chemical manufacturing.
- Ability to convey ideas and explain decisions in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to work in a small team
For more information and to apply, visit https://jobs.assp.org/jobs/view/2023-intern-environmental-compliance-and-technical-services-global-safety-environment/65648684/?utm_term=7&utm_medium=email&utm_source=daily-alert&utm_campaign=job-alert-email-15777&utm_content=position-title