Health Safety Specialist III – Newark, NJ
Rutgers University- Newark (RU-N), an urban public research university and anchor institution, located in Newark, New Jersey, a city of promise is seeking a Health Safety Specialist.
Principally responsible for performing the technical services, investigations, and visual inspections and/or for maintaining records for the University to assure that only sanctioned activities are carried out and that those activities are performed:
• In accordance with Federal, State & local requirements and University policies/procedures;
• Without adverse health effects on faculty, staff, students, visitors, and community
• In a manner that will protect the environment;
• University’s resources are conserved, and future liability is limited.
• Requires a bachelor’s degree in physical, chemical or life sciences; and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
• Two years of relevant professional experience.
• Ability and willingness to pursue graduate education and/or training toward certification in health/safety profession;
• Must have the maturity and judgment to represent the department in interactions with the university community and to seek help from supervisor when needed;
• Excellent computer, interpersonal, verbal, and writing skills;
• Have a valid driver’s license;
• Pass a physical examination and be able to wear a respirator.
• Understanding of applications and limitations of various sampling equipment;
• Proficient in MS Word, MS Access, Excel, Outlook.
• Must be able to lift to 50 pounds.
For more information and to apply, visit https://jobs.rutgers.edu/postings/141189
Chief Safety Officer – New York, NY
The Port Authority of NY & NJ
Job ID: 38754
Department: Human Resources
Location: 4 World Trade Center
The Chief Safety Officer (CSO) is responsible for strategic policy development, management, and oversight of the Agency’s Safety Programs. Exhibits a personal commitment to safety and is a passionate advocate for the safety of our passengers and our workforce. Develops a progressive and proactive vision of safety across the Agency and our transit system. Translates the safety vision into strategy and provides guidance and direction to managers on program implementation, government regulations, reporting requirements, and standards of practice in five safety areas: Construction Safety, Operational Safety, Safety Certification, Employee Health and Safety, and Public Safety. The CSO ensures that a safety culture exists in all decision-making to guarantee the safety of our riders, employees, contractors, key stakeholders and the communities we serve. Works as a partner with other agency organizations, contractors and consultants to assist in driving safety culture. Further, the CSO sees that the agency shares responsibility for the implementation and adherence to the Safety Management System and delivers a ‘best-in-class’ safety program.
- Oversee the implementation of all-agency safety management policies
- Creates clarity within the department and throughout the agency of the Safety Department’s roles and responsibilities. Drives performance by actively leading and managing the culture change necessary for creating a best-in-class safety system and acting as a change agent; effectively communicates the need for change while modeling and enforcing new behaviors and norms for the department and creating and promoting an inclusive and positive work environment.
- Recommends updates for facility operations, maintenance, and safety policies and procedures to maintain safe operating and working conditions, eliminate hazards and provides for changes in safety regulations and standards
- Regular reporting back to the Executive Director on progress, metrics and KPI’s in order for the board to make educated decisions
- Provide proactive risk assessment, co-lead benefit-risk assessment with other relevant functions, develop risk management strategies and plans and monitor effectiveness
- Implements procedures, practices, and policies for managing risk and hazards including training and communication.
- Provides leadership and directs staff in developing policy concerning System Safety, Employee Health and Safety, Construction Safety, Rail Operations and Public Safety
- Establishing and maintaining honest, transparent, and effective relationships with federal regulatory agencies, local and regional governments, and interested trade associations and special interest groups
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, industrial relations, industrial hygiene, safety, industrial engineering, or closely related field and minimum fifteen (15) years of experience directing and managing the safety, quality, engineering, construction and related functions of a safety and quality assurance division in a medium to large organization; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Proven experience implementing and cultivating a successful organizational safety culture.
- Must have broad knowledge of federal requirements, specifically the United States Department of Transportation/Federal Transit Administration
- Required knowledge of safety functions and programs including plant safety, facility safety, construction (OSHA) safety, hazard analysis, transit safety certification, and reliability, maintainability, and availability analysis of transit systems.
- Proven experience with project and program management techniques and principles.
- Must be able to look at safety strategically and integrate it into future company plans, includes resources, and financial impacts
- Demonstrated experience performing related occupational health, safety, and transit oversight and/or coordination for an operating enterprise or an oversight agency, or in performing operations, maintenance for a transit agency
Ideal candidates will present the following profile:
- Transit Safety and Security Program (TSSP) Certification
- Demonstrated direct and authentic communication style that is adept at delivering complex messages and information to varying levels of leadership including the CEO and Board of Directors.
- Ability to manage up and down
- Ability to lead, motivate, mentor and develop diverse staff.
For more information and to apply, visit https://www.jointheportauthority.com/jobs/7321296-chief-safety-officer
Industrial Hygienist – NJ/NY/PA
Garden State Environmental, Inc., an established occupational safety and health, indoor air quality and environmental consulting firm, has an opening for an experienced Industrial Hygienist. The position involves project and personnel management and consulting in traditional IH areas, with an emphasis on asbestos, indoor air quality, mold, OSHA compliance, safety and health training and related environmental health and safety consulting. The position requires routine travel to our client locations throughout NJ, NY and PA. Some overnight travel may be required. Flexibility in working from home office is possible.
The work involves regular field investigations and managing multiple projects that will be supported by junior field staff at both public and private sector clients. Examples include conducting field investigations, environmental sampling and analysis for various biological (mold-bacteria), chemical and physical exposures and report preparation. Work will also involve conducting safety and health audits, ventilation assessments, respirator fit testing and preparing and presenting various education and training programs. Responsibilities will include developing, maintaining and enhancing client relationships to promote the growth of the business
Applicants should have at least a bachelor’s degree in industrial hygiene or related scientific field and at least 5 years of direct experience in the industrial hygiene field. A master’s degree and ABIH Certification is desirable, but not required.
Candidates must be able to work independently and as part of a team, manage less experienced staff and have strong verbal and written communication skills, good organization skills, an entrepreneurial spirit and must be dependable, disciplined, flexible and detail oriented.
Send resume to:
GSE Fax: 201-652-0612 Email: Apply@GSEConsultants.com
Garden State Environmental, Inc. offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. This position offers the potential for an equity position in the company with significant financial and personal growth opportunities.